Started Oct 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pit123
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?
The 4/3 tele advantage myth
Oct 2, 2012

As a former Oly owner (E-3, E-620, 50-200, 12-60,50, 8-16, 40-150, 70-300, bigma ++) I sometimes look into the Oly forum. An I really enjoy the Sunday bird thread. To my surprise there is still lots of misleading info here and no one of the oly fanboys / experts tell you the truth.
As typical shown in the recent thread "Open letter to Olympus..."

I talk about the "2x reach advantage" on 4/3.

Fact:
The crop factor has nothing to do with reach. Period.
If you want the best reach you should look at pixel density and lens mm.

A 200mm on an 18 mb APS-C will have the same reach (same amount of pixels on the subject) as a 200mm on a 12mb 4/3 camera.

Dont be misleaded, like I was, to go 4/3 for wildlife because of the 2x crop "advantage". Canikons have much smaller, lighter, sharper and cheaper camera/lens combos than any comparative 4/3 offerings for wildlife. No matter whatever budget you are looking for.

Why dont you ever see a good moonshot from 4/3? Because they can't. The reach is not there.They stop at 300mm and they dont work well enough with tc's.

Even the consumer zoom Canon 100-400mm will probably give you more detailed moonshots (or reach) than any Oly lens, incl. the 300mm f2.8 w/ 1.4 TC.

This is not to bash oly, but to tell (some of you how obvious dont know) the truth about the 4/3 tele advantage. You wont hear it from the fanboys. They keep silent about this. Oly might have other advantages? I dont know. But if you choose 4/3 for tele advantage/wildlife shooting, you go wrong. Save your money!

Regards
PIT

Olympus E-620 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow