Nikkor 14-24 vs. Nikkor 24 PC-E for cityscapes/landscapes. Which one?

Started Oct 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tonganqn
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
Nikkor 14-24 vs. Nikkor 24 PC-E for cityscapes/landscapes. Which one?
Oct 2, 2012

I'm planning a new photographic project in which I'll be making landscape photos within the city (some might call these cityscapes) trying to some specific city features such as rivers, houses and bridges.

The camera I'll be using is the Nikon D800 and possibly the D4 for night shots. However, when it comes to my lens choice I'm still undecided.

The choices I'm considering are:

1) Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8
2) Nikkor 24mm PC-E f/3.5

I'm aware of the features of each lens and I've been reading extensive reviews in different forums, including this one, but I still can't make up my mind as to which lens is the best option in terms of the photos they will allow me to make. Perhaps you can help me out with some feedback.

Have anyone of you used lens #2 for cityscapes? Does it make any sense, technically speaking? or, is lens #1 a better choice for making cityscapes that have more of a landscape look (if you know what I mean)?

I know that #1 will give me more flexibility given that is a zoom lens and that I will be able to use it as a general-purpose lens, ie. not only for landscape photos. But, should I compromise the flexibility of #1 for the specialty of #2?

Thanks in advance.

G.

Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow