250mm lens options?

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
William Ing
Regular MemberPosts: 478
Like?
Re: 250mm lens options?
In reply to bloodycape, Oct 2, 2012

Are they constant f5.6 lenses or do they start at wider aperture? I take there are some in a faster f4.5 variant that isn't that much larger? Thanks.

The Canon, Minolta and Nikon 100-300mm zooms are all f/5.6 constant aperture. I doubt you can find a faster zoom (e.g., Canon FD 85-300 f/4.5, but larger and heavier) that'll fall anywhere near your $100 upper limit.

FWIW, Tamron made a fine SP Adaptall-2 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 manual focus zoom, but you'll also need to buy a used Tamron adapter that attaches to the rear of the lens(approx. $25; choose from among Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus OM mounts, etc.), and then you'll also need to spring for the lens to MFT adapter. If you're willing to accept a "bargain condition" copy you might be able to bring it in somewhere near $100. I have one of these and can attest to its overall sturdiness and very good IQ. The only fly in the ointment, as far as I'm concerned, is that Tamron didn't design this lens with a tripod collar, which makes it tough to use with a monopod or tripod.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow