D600 not for everyone?

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brooks Lester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865Gear list
Like?
You need to define "better results" - my OMD doesn't beat my D700 in noise
In reply to ianbrown, Oct 2, 2012

The OMD is a great little camera but has nowhere near the high ISO performance of the D700 or any of the newer Nikon FX bodies which are likely better performing than the D700 in high ISO noise control.

I see noticeable OMD noise at ISO 1000 and up while my D700 doesn't show equivalent

noise until ISO 3200 or even more. Shooting indoor candids will clearly show the difference.

The OMD is lot better than the previous m4/3 bodies in terms of noise - my GF-1 and E-PL3 were noisy at ISO 500 - but the OMD is not on the level Nikon FX in terms of noise control.

The additional 4MP of the OMD is nice, but it's real advantages over the Canon and Nikon FX bodies are small size, low weight, flip screen versatility, and a fairly wide selection of lenses that are much smaller than the FX equivalents.

I'm very happy with my OMD, other than its yellow-y green LCD rendering (not seen in images once they're out of the camera and in displayed on the monitor). If I'm willing to deal with the bulk of my D700, it's got better IQ - just a little less resolution. I'll take the D700 image quality over the OMD. 12MP is plenty of resolution.

Brooks Lester's gear list:Brooks Lester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow