E-620 Live view and 35mm macro help

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeddi
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: E-620 Live view and 35mm macro help
In reply to kittykat23uk, Oct 2, 2012

kittykat23uk wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this problem and more importantly got a solution?

Hi Jo,

I had a similar problem (and similar 'I am disappoint' reaction) with the E-620 + 50mm macro a year ago, and you may want to have a read through the very thoughtful responses I got on that thread here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1022&message=40437052&changemode=1

As far as a 'solution' goes - probably not in the sense that you are (and I was) hoping for. The suggestion to flip to manual focus is probably the most reasonable, though it's not hugely convenient. You can change the function of the Fn button to flip to MF, and that would be easier than fiddling with the AF button + menu. Alternatively use exclusively MF, and the zoomed live-view - I find for close-up work I just can't hold the camera steady enough to make much sense of the 10x zoom image, so stick with 5x. Out of the box I think Live View (the green rectangle) option is part of the range of view options you cycle through with Info - if it's enabled, then pressing the OK button takes you to the zoomed live-view. Sorry - this is much simpler than I'm describing it, and you probably are already familiar with it anyway.

Similarly using high speed shooting and slowly moving the camera forward. This reduces the ratio, but increases the number, of keepers.

Alternatively use a tripod more often - I use a small gorillapod for this kind of thing, as it's light enough to carry everywhere, but it's not very tall of course. Ideal for close-to-the-ground stuff however. Either remote release or the 12s delay. In either case I generally revert to manual focus here too. Unlike one of the posters on that other thread, I've found that the 50mm still re-racks on live-view even when it's already successfully focussed and is mounted on my very solid Slik tripod.

Jeddi's gear list:Jeddi's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow