No face recognition on D600 ?

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brooks Lester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865Gear list
Like?
Nikon's site shows both cams only offer FD in Live View still and Movie modes
In reply to ADMint, Oct 2, 2012

Disappointing to me, as well. I've found face detection (on the cameras I've owned: GF-1, EPL-3, X10, OMD, to name a few) gives me a better hit rate than my D700 with AF Fine Tuned top shelf glass on my D700, when taking pictures of my strawberry blond daughter, in many conditions.

I think the problem is that my daughter has relatively low contrast on her face - light hair and light skin, with light eyebrows. Only her blue eyes show the focus sensor appreciable contrast for focus acquisition. The Nikon AF module seems to need contrast in order to face detect successfully. The D700 does much better with focussing on my daughter's brunette friend - with her darker eyebrows.

My contrast detect compact cams with face detection, on the other hand, seem to detect a "face" rather quickly and accurately. This lets me concentrate on timing, composition, exposure, etc. I know the purists poo-poo FD buts the proof is in the pudding.

Brooks Lester's gear list:Brooks Lester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow