DAM software replacement for IDImager

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Geoff Coupe
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: DAM software replacement for IDImager
In reply to ekutter, Oct 2, 2012

I'm looking at Photo Supreme, and so far, for my usage patterns, it is a perfectly acceptable replacement for IDI, for me.

I never really exploited the power of IDI - rather like Microsoft Word, I only ever use a fraction of its power.

I'm surprised though, by ekutter's comments stating that Photo Supreme "is missing a lot of the XMP filtering, such as camera model. It doesn't have basic features like the great batch-rename of IDI".

Actually, all the XMP technical details that IDI exposed are there in Photo Supreme as well, as far as I can see. I can filter by camera make and model, by F-number, focal length, exposure, ISO speed, and other properties. And the Batch rename capabilities are also the same as in IDI - you just have to define them. That can be as simple as cutting and pasting the rules from IDI across to Photo Supreme.

As for the WLPG People tag bug - I must admit I haven't noticed it. I have a few photos tagged by WLPG, and they seem unaffected by using them in IDI or Photo Supreme. I'll have to go and take a closer look.

It's perfectly true that Photo Supreme is a simplified version of IDI, and may well be simplified too far for some people. You can't define custom XMP yourself in it, for example. But I suspect that for many people, Photo Supreme strikes a nice balance between ease-of-use and power.

It works for me.
--
Geoff Coupe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow