G1 X Deal Breakers. Have You Returned Yours? Why Won't You Buy a G1X?

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dan Goldman
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: Gena...don't buy a G1X.
In reply to Monicakm, Oct 2, 2012

Hi,

I can tell you I regret buying one!

The biggest drawback is the VF that basically forces you to use LV because the VF gives zero info of the shooting parameters and the focusing feedback.

This is a very bad thing, especially if you wear reading glasses; looking through the VF a vision deficiency can be taken care of by the diopter adjustment of the VF, and hence no need for reading glasses, but since you are forced to use the display due to the complete lack of info in the VF, you need go through the hassle of pulling out the reading glasses from the bag, etc, etc.

Even if we put aside the reading glasses problem, the VF is still very poor and forces us to use LV which btw is a hassle to use in bright daylight.

Next in line is to try out a Sony NEX. They use an electronic VF with all the relevant info where it should be.

The dumb VF and the poor focusing are the biggest drawbacks and the reason I will sell mine G1X. Wish I had rented one first.

Dan

Monicakm wrote:

I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm totally confused now LOL
I just looked at a hundred or more pictures on Marco Nero's pbase gallery.

At first glance, there is no doubt in my mind I'd love to own the G1X (btw, the camera's size is fine with me). Maybe advances in technology over the last 6+ years can/do compensate for some of the things I'm concerned about losing with my S3. But, Marco's pictures are too small to really judge the camera, especially when I'm upgrading mostly for the larger MP so I can print and frame larger photos. His pictures offered the only indoor shots I can find using the G1X. Marco, did you pp (noise reduction and USM for instance) or do they look so clean and sharp because of their size?

I keep coming back to the viewfinder (or lack of a decent one). I find I can compose a picture much better and steady it better with one hand under the camera and held against my face. The articulating LCD screen is a life saver for certain shots but it can't replace a good electronic viewfinder (for me). I'd love to buy the camera and try it out but I don't know of any place I can do that without a hefty restocking fee.

I will reply to individual responses in the next couple of days. Life calls

Monica

ps...thanks for the extra pictures Marco. I was writing my reply when you posted them

-- hide signature --

Monica (UZi x2) (Canon S3)
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow