I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot
In reply to Vlad4D, Oct 2, 2012

Vlad4D wrote:

The mirror is very light so most likely amount of vibrations will be not more than in usual SLR camera.

In that case, why are usual SLR cameras equipped with much heavier mirrors which take more power to move and require more solid fastening? This is an obvious optimization in a complex technical system which has been in constant, competitive improvement since the 1960's. There is a reason SLR mirrors are solid and heavy, and it's not that no-one has thought about making them thin and light.

Fragility of mirror is also not obvious - yes it is thin film but it is placed into hard frame. Nothing should damage it.

Fragility of the SLT mirror is stated in Sony manuals. There is nothing controversial about it being extremely sensitive to mechanical manipulation. And again, if it was as simple as putting a solid frame on it, why is this not a common solution to make a lighter mirror box?

In worst case little slower mechanical processing will avoid both problems.

It would have to be a lot slower, and either way it will introduce a fragile, expensive mechanism which the whole point of SLT is to avoid.

I would be happy to accept little slower SLR mode of SLT camera.

For what gain? What would this added cost, weight and fragility buy you?

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow