Warning 50mm f1.4 - this is your last chance

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
HSU
HSU
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?
Also a 50mm f1.4 should be quite fine, even at f1.4
In reply to AC1, Oct 2, 2012

Assuming you did focus on both pictures for the (nearest) eye, I'd strongly suggest that you have at least a massive front focus problem.

In picture #1 the hair which is nearer to the lens is starting to get sharp, but could get better, but nothing is getting nearer to the lens.

In picture #2 you can see the stray hair going across her forehead is in perfect focus, but it for shure resides quite an amound infront of her face.

Another tip: For testing a lens, portraits are not the best test-object. For focussing rather stack objects in depth, to see how much the focus goes wrong into which direction. Or take so focus-calibrating charts (use google. There are plenty of them). You could even use a tilted newspaper for it.

Another good test, albeit not for focus accuracy, is to introduce a massive contrast. Easily obtauned by e.G. photographing leaves against the (bright) sky. Expose for the leaves, and see if massive haloing happens.

The 50mm f1.4 from canon is definitely no slouch, but I had also to exchange mine 2 times (so, my third one was acceptable).

And price is definitely a non-issue. Canon sells it as a f1.4 lens, so it should, and will perform decently at f1.4. If it doesen't, return it or let it repair.

Best example: 50mm f1.8---this is a 100$ lens, but also performy acceptable at f1.8. If it doesen't your copy is defective.

Ok, it is true, that the L-Lenses have a bit higher resolution, but you won't notice the differenc if you are'n looking at pixel-level, and even then, on real photographs, it is hard to see any difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow