Started Oct 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nightwings
Forum ProPosts: 10,358
Like?
Small Sensor ADL - CAUTION
Oct 2, 2012

Like I've stated before ... ADL can sometimes have desirable effects ... sometimes... no so much.

Here you see two shots ... one with ADL=Off... one with ADL-Normal

These shots were taken this afternoon and are fresh in my mind.

You can see the severe damage ADL did to the shot. Altering the tone of the image greatly. I can tell you, the gravel road color tone / Tree foliage is most represented by the ADL=Off shot ... as was the color/tone of the sky.

Also take note of the relative loss of detail of the gravel road due to the tone-flattening effects of ADL. This is especially true if you use ADL on people. Peoples skin will sometimes take on a flattened tone.... oftem times looking like a spray-on tan effect.

Can you imagine going on vacation for a couple of weeks and taking hundreds of shots with ADL on? By the time you get to looking at your shots when you get home, you'll never know what the TRUE tone of the scene was ... that is gone/lost forever. Now... will ADL alter the tone for all shots? ... Nope..... some will .. some won't. The problem is, you'll never know which until it's too late. I shoot a D7000 as well .... and although the big sensor can sometimes alter tone using ADL... it is NO WHERE NEAR the proportions that its smaller sensor brother does. In order to get that type of radical tone change shooting with the D7000 .... I'd have to set ADL to Extra High.

Personally, I won't touch ADL with my P510. I usually shoot with -0.3EV constantly and I find that there is nothing that I can't fix / enhance in pp .... especially using CS5/CS6 Shadow/Highlight sliders.

My advise..... if you do use ADL, use it with caution.

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

Nikon Coolpix P510 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow