I want to try film!!!

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?
Re: Another odd man
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Oct 1, 2012

Film was tough. With the Pentax 6x7, I used to take notes after every pic s that i could improve myself. Like Gerry, digital, and the K5 in particular, has done wonders for my photography skills.

But i feel i'm "ready" to give the old 67 a run again. My 135 macro has about the same FOV as the 43... Now that's DOF control! I'm trying to persuade local photo shops to develop and scan my films, but things are looking grim. I'll either learn to do it myself, or mail order...

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

math guy wrote:

I'm going to be the odd man out here and say that I don't miss film a bit. The ability to switch ISO at any time and the instant feedback I get are just two things that make digital much better in my book. I never spent time in a darkroom and was always at the mercy of the developer for prints, so I really enjoy the personal control digital offers in raw development. And even if I had known my way around a darkroom, I cannot imagine I would prefer that to the simplicity and versatility of developing images digitally.

I'm with you, Joe. I shot film for over half a century (1953 - 2006) and for me that's enough. I'm different from you in one way - I had access to a darkroom in my early years and, at that age, the magic of developing and enlarging beat the actual taking of photos.

But if you can be bothered to visit my PBase galleries, where I've put a lot of my old pics, you'll see that my photograhy has improved as much in the few digital years as all the time before. Thay's not to say that my current output is all good - it clearly isn't - but my average has gone up.

There are quite a few things in this life that I'm glad I've done but wouldn't want to repeat. I think it's good for other people to try them too. Film photography is one of those things. I wish the OP fun and enjoyment.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow