A list of good/bad MFT lens for new owner?

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,089Gear list
Like?
I'll give it a shot
In reply to Jefftan, Oct 1, 2012

Keeping in mind I'm only covering the lenses I'm familiar with, so omission here shouldn't be counted as a vote against.

12-50mm I chose this lens over the 14-42 or 14-45 for it's versatility. Besides going longer amd wider than the other kit lenses, it has a nice macro feature and power zoom (good for movies)

If you're looking for the most compact standard zoom, that would be the 14-42, while the Panny might have a slight edge in IQ

In the mid range zoom, I'd go for the Olympus 40-150,
(Panny makes a 45-200 if you want a little more reach.)

In the long tele range, you have more compact but expensive (Olympus 75-300) and less expensive but bigger and faster apeture (Panny 100-300) I opted for the latter.

If you hate changing lenses, both companies provide a super zoom 14-150/14-140) but I can't say I've paid much attention to either

OK, for low light you might go for the 45/1.8 or the 20mm which are not horribly expensive

Smallest fast lens, and a bargan (you could find de-kitted ones for around $150 on eBay) is the Panny 14/2.5

For something really small and cheap, theres the 15mm f8 'body cap lens' from Oly... Should be about $50!

As another thought, if you are looking to save a few bucks and don't mind a little larger lens, pick up a clone 4/3 adapter and go for used 4/3 Oly kit lenses, which are optically a bit better than the m43 versions

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow