Using NEX As A "Digital Back" for Large Format Cameras

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Diacyclops81
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Re: Using NEX As A "Digital Back" for Large Format Cameras
In reply to D Cox, Oct 1, 2012

On one of the Photokina reviews there was an interview with a view camera maker, beautiful wooden models, and he had backs which could mount a DSLR (or a nex) and slide them horizontally or, on another back, vert and horiz. The notion was to stitch the separate images later. This sounded like a DIY, but I didn't know how sharp the images might be, so I took the film holder off the back of a Graphlex I've got, opened the lens as for focusing, held my 5n, w/o a lens mounted, behind it all and took a few pics of a lamp in a dark room. I just moved the nex to get an approximate focus, had ISO at 3200 for a higher shutter speed. Not bad at all; I was surprised. But my question is: how would images taken this way, with the camera stationary but the Nex moved, be superior to several images taken with the Nex and a prime, where the camera is moved vert and horizontally. I presume the pic would be a landscape, not something close to camera where parallax could be an issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow