Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,652
Like?
Re: I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot
In reply to Nordstjernen, Oct 1, 2012

Nordstjernen wrote:

Dirk W wrote:

... it becomes obvious that the translucent mirror adds noise ...

Not visible differences for real life photography.

Is the difference between a f/1.4 lens and f/1.7 lens visible in real life photography? Usually not, but people are still willing to pay good money for this advantage, either because they feel the need it or they simply want it. Same with SLT vs SLR. Wouldn't you pay another $50 or $100 for the ability to lift up the SLT mirror and switch the camera into Mirrorless mode and gain back that half-a-stop or so of light (and extra insurance against dirt and dust)? I know I would.

BTW, with CDAF (which is the most primitive form of AF, used in cellphones and P&S cameras) I would gladly pay another $300. It would solve all the AF accuracy issues that I have to deal with when using PDAF, and would free me from having to use MF so frequently.

• except maybe that the continuous autofocus during bursts would become a little slower.

This will really affect real world photography!

Canon and Nikon are doing just fine with real world photography of moving subjects. In fact, most reviews of the A77 mark its C-AF performance as inferior to competing cameras like the D300s and EOS-7D.

With that said, an optional SLR or Mirrorless mode wouldn't change how the camera performs in C-AF when in SLT mode, so this is moot point.

Also, when you compare, do you compare identical shots and then take in account different AA filter design? Exposure? RAW convertrer settings? etc.? I don't think so.

Also what about costs for a complex flipping mirror box?

None of us know what would be the cost to add it, but most of us know that AF SLR film cameras went as cheap as $150 per body (with many other expensive components), so the flipping mirror can't be that expensive. Cost should especially not rule this option out when discussing cameras like the A77 and A99. The fragility of the SLT mirror does seem like a more valid concern, which is why a Mirrorless mode is probably an easier to engineer solution than an SLR one.

Prog.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oren_b

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow