I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,652
Like?
Re: I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot
In reply to theswede, Oct 1, 2012

theswede wrote:

Absolutely not. These reasons pale in comparison with the thinness and thus fragility of the mirror, and the high vibrations it would be suspect to. And making the mirror thicker will result in chromatic aberration.

Thus, it is impossible to flip an SLT mirror. The laws of physics are in the way and the engineering obstacles are not hard, but insurmountable, especially given the cost constraints of modern SLR/SLT cameras.

Weren't you the one who wrote:

"Evidence please. This is a controversial statement which is at odds with present photographic evidence, so you need to back this up. Substantially." ...and "Says the guy making asinine and obliviously stupid statements as if they're the plain truth, without a hint of modesty or appreciation for that engineers spend their whole career on these issues. Yeah, you're one to talk about common courtesy."

Am I the only one that finds this ironic?

And further, one of the main reasons for an SLT mirror is uninterrupted mirror PDAF functionality. This would be nullified.

Why would PDAF cease to work when the mirror stays down (in SLT mode)? The whole point of this thread is to discuss the possibility of an SLR-like mode to complement the SLT solution, not to replace it.

By the way, even if the current SLT mirror is too fragile for quick flipping, there's no reason it can't be lifted up slowly to switch from SLT mode to mirrorless mode (remaining in the up position until the user chooses to switch back to SLT mode). This option would remove any complaints about the SLT mirror being in the way and "eating" light, but can still offer a very functional camera (with eye-level viewing, CDAF, main-sensor PDAF and of course MF). As an A77 who doesn't shoot a lot of sports or BIF, I would probably use this mode very frequently. For sure sufficiently-fast CDAF is more attractive for my kind of shooting than faster-but-less-accurate PDAF. Getting another half a stop or so for free in that mode is only the icing on the cake.

Prog.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oren_b

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow