Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796
Like?
Mechanical vs Electronic Shutter - Shutter Vibration
Oct 1, 2012

I promised in another thread to upload some sample test images showing a problem with shutter vibration using the mechanical shutter on the V1. I am uploading in a new thread so they don't get buried amongst the other posts and bickering in the other thread.

All photos taken hand held using shutter priority with VR set to normal. All at the 110mm end of the 30-110mm zoom range.

I only took one shot at each shutter speed using the electronic shutter, so it is possible with a few more attempts I would get slightly sharper results. With the Mechanical shutter I took five shots at each shutter speed and picked the sharpest.

Generally the mechanical shutter shots are less sharp, but what is interesting is that there appears to be a 'zone' of shutter speeds in which the vibration is a real problem. For the shots I took, this appears to be the 1/80 to 1/160 second zone. In those shots there is clearly a double image (look at the joints between the cladding panels). I believe the double image is representative of the sudden 'jolt' of the shutter moving, rather than general shake from hand holding. Furthermore I suspect that the effect is a result of the VR system fighting against the jolt from the shutter and that that when that jolt forms a significant portion of the exposure the VR system cannot cope. When the exposure is significantly longer or shorter it isn't causing the same sort of problem.

Anyway - on to the images

The first shows the overall shot

The second shows the comparison shots between mechanical and electronic shutter at each shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow