Sony 55-300 Comparison

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
jcurtistx
Regular MemberPosts: 414Gear list
Like?
Re: More thoughts on the Sony 55-300mm
In reply to Setter Dog, Oct 1, 2012

Glad this helps... I will leave the expert analysis to the experts though. My review is more like a consumer would conduct - just using these and see which one I like more.

When I originally had the Tamron 70-300 6 months ago and the Minolta 100-300 APO D, I thought the Tamron was just too bulky for me to want to carry around to the park with my kids for example and surprisingly was not as sharp as the Minolta. Now will my opinion of the weight and size change if I think the optical quality of this sample is much better? Maybe.

If the Sony focused faster (not SSM fast) I may not have bought the Tamron again. The focusing speed is what is holding me back from saying it is a keeper in my situation. I really do like the feel and optics of this lens though - just not the focus speed (mostly when you have to track an object moving).

I like Tamron lenses so I hope this copy is better than the other one. I should have a better idea when it gets here Wednesday.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Sony A57, Sony 18-135, Tamron 60 f2, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Tamron 70-210 f3.5-4.5 (Circa 1988), Minolta 100-300 APO D

jcurtistx's gear list:jcurtistx's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow