Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dandydon44
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
M43 or sony NEX or SLT?
Oct 1, 2012

Hi guys, i didnt know where to post this and have posted something similiar on the sony SLR forum but havent had many replies, sorry if this is the wrong place, but ive been on here a while and i know you guys are knowledgable!

I am ready to pick a new camera soon, but problem is, i can't chose which camera/lens selection! Boy, its a tough decision, so many cameras to choose from.

I have around £1000 to spend, not sure what this is in dollars but cameras are so differently priced everywhere this doesnt really matter.

I like shooting landscapes, and maybe in the near future would like to get into birding photography, it will also be used for various other scenarios.

I am just about to start hiking and problem is i dont know whether i should go micro four thirds for the small size and small lenses, sony nex for the built in EVF (nex 7) and DOF or dslt as they are reasonably lightweight for big cameras and i would have fast AF and great dof to play with.

my options are: (all of these kits come to around about my budget)

Sony nex 7 + kit lens + 50mm OSS and possibly 16mm 2.8 pancake. Giving me a pancake for portability, great sensor, lens for low light and also a walkaround lens. (could safe for a lens for birding)

Panasonic GH2 with 14-42mm + PL 25mm 1.4 + olympus 14-150. Giving me walkaround lens, lower light lens and a zoom possibly for birding?

Sony a57 with kit lens, sony 35mm SAM and Sony NEX 5n + kit lens and 16mm. This would give me the better autofocus for birding, i could save for a long lens (tamron 70-300 usd?) and also have the nex 5n for hillwalking and portbility!

Sorry for the lenghty post, i just wanna make the right decision! I have had many cameras before, such as the Nikon d3100 (too small for my hands) Canon 40d (too heavy) panasonic GF1 ( didnt have the right lenses at the time) samsung NX11 (didnt feel right) and others as well. I like the idea of being able to take my camera wherever i can, and with the DSLRs i couldnt do this, but the a57 has a great grip (ive felt it) and id be ready to give it another go if it was worth it? Do i really need a dslt to get great pictures etc?

Again, sorry for the lengthy post and thank you in advance for your replies ( if anyone replies! ha ha)

dandydon44's gear list:dandydon44's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Canon EOS 40D Nikon D3100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow