A list of good/bad MFT lens for new owner?

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,201Gear list
Like?
Depends on what/how you shoot....
In reply to Jefftan, Oct 1, 2012

Different lenses meet different needs.

If you hike a lot, want a one lens solution, and do mostly well lit or outdoor shots, the 14-140mm can't be beat.

If you want to keep the size down, want zoom, and have good light, the 14-45mm is the way to go.

If you plan to shoot in lower light or want to experiment with more substantial depth of field, you will need to go for prime lenses. I'm not sure there are any bad m43 primes....My two favorites are the 12mm and the 45mm f1.8 Oly. The 12mm is mighty expensive, and a good alternative is the 14mm Panasonic, which is quite cheap and a really nice lens. Others prefer the 20mm, which is a very sharp lens (but I don't work well at that focal length, so it was not for me), and the 25mm is supposed to have legendary image quality, but is larger than the other primes mentioned so far.

Another real winner is the Oly 40-150mm; it's a great lens and can be had for cheap, however you really do get the most out of it on Oly bodies, since it does not have OIS, which is very useful on a long lens (the Olys have IBIS which will take care of that).

Essentially, you have to define what your shooting style is to figure out what lenses will work best for you. All the M43 lenses are good; which ones you want will depend to a degree on whether you get an Oly or Panasonic camera and need/don't need OIS; whether you shoot primarily in low light or higher light situations; whether you need the smallest possible lens or not; and what your subjects are. Figure these things out, and your lens options will become much clearer.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow