D600: Mirror vibration & AA filter

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dennis Watts
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Re: D600: Mirror vibration & AA filter
In reply to BillyInya, Oct 1, 2012

Having owned half a dozen Nikon D SLR's, I've never noticed mirror slap while handholding? I have seen mirror vibrations show up when shooting macro and long exposures, but those are on a tripod. in other words the slightest hand shake is 100 times more likely to show up then mirror vibration. My suggestion would be to look at some different techniques for handling.

I'm generally a shaky guy but was taught good technique very young, and I can hand hold down to 1/2 to 1 stop below the length of the lens. Keep in mind that not every shot is going to be a keeper but I get a good percentage. And of course I get a higher percentage from my D700 versus my D800e. I've also noticed that extra weight helps me in handholding. This would work against the Fuji, but your experience might be different.

cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-shake.htm

petapixel.com/2012/02/22/shoot-sharper-handheld-photos-by-using-marksmanship-techniques/

All in all I have heard great things about the Fuji and I think that mirror vibration is probably not a big enough deal to make a difference in your decision. I would be more focused on how it feels in your hand.

Dennis Watts's gear list:Dennis Watts's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow