I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,874Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot
In reply to Dirk W, Oct 1, 2012

Dirk W wrote:

After looking at many comparison samples on the internet of NEX5N to A37/57 and NEX7 to A77 it becomes obvious that the translucent mirror adds noise, and I mean not because it "eats" some light, but mainly because it is an optical obstacle in front of the sensor that is not entirely clear like only lenses.

Every piece of glass (including those in the lens) is an optical obstacle one way or the other. The mirror itself has negligible effect on noise for all practical purposes.

So why should Sony not take the best out of two worlds, keep the SLT for the great EVF and constant lifeview, but when you press the shutter it would flip up and give way for a free sensor?

SLT is about something more than EVF. It is about ability to focus continuously (something you lose when the mirror flips up). And now, SLT is adding another dimension with A99: Dual PDAF. Sony A77 is already one of the fastest focusing cameras out there. It will be a safe bet to assume that A99 will be a step better, while also adding the benefit of depth-map via OSPDAF something A77 doesn’t have.

In my opinion this should not be a problem - except maybe that the continuous autofocus during bursts would become a little slower.

There would be no continuous AF the way it is done today. It would be indistinguishable from the old fashioned mirror set up.

Since the SLT-mirror is much lighter than a traditional glass mirror, flipping up and down should go even faster with less vibration etc.

If it has to flip up/down, it will have to be thicker, and mechanical parts added to move it up and down. It would also affect clearance issues (one of the advantages SLT could boast was more compact bodies, unfortunately, people demanded larger bodies and that trend began with A65/77). A flip-up SLT would have no noticeable advantage over conventional mirror set up. You will end up with more weight, more mechanical parts, more clearance room, no continuous AF, no dual PDAF, no escape from mirror slap…

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow