Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,406
Like?
Pro photog shoots very colorful scenes, prints in sepia and black and white
Oct 1, 2012

I had my choice of forums here to tell you this story and all of them would have been wrong, but here goes anyway.

I watched a documentary last night on the tube about a fashion photographer from NYC who is obsessed with the horses on Sable Island. Nothing wrong with that.

It documented him going back to the island to photograph the horses. Of course he had a great video camera crew with him detailing his moves and his relationship with the horses. He had every camera imaginable with him and could be seen hauling one on a tripod while carrying four others around his neck. Gear overload, IMHO, but what do I know, I'm just a hack! And he was shooting film. Nothing wrong with that.

There was one photo op after another there. The video camera would show backlit horses as the sun came up, just beautiful and the photog was out in the grass marveling at the light.

So how did his shots turn out? He gets back to NYC, prints out a bunch of huge prints and has a show in a gallery. All his prints were in sepia! All of them. The horses, in reality, were all of varying colors, the island had stunningly colorful shots and his prints were all sepia all the time. Shows you what I know about high fashion horse photography!

I just checked out his gallery online of the same shots. They are all in black and white. Wow, and here I thought color would have been key to accurately documenting the horses but I guess his entire focus was NOT in documenting the horses accurately. Just capturing some kind of emotion that would resonate with the NYC crowd.

I tell you this because, even though I was shocked/dismayed/confused by what his prints actually look like as compared to the stunning scenes his videographers captured, I'm trying to learn from it. Maybe totally accurate images are not the point, in some cases.

http://www.dutescoart.com/gallery/sablehorses/index.html

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow