Photo Books

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
kittykat23uk
Contributing MemberPosts: 983
Like?
Re: Albelli v Blurb- UK
In reply to plasmo, Oct 1, 2012

Hi folks,

I have been creating photo books for a few years now and have so far produced 1 with Aldi photo (my first one) five with Blurb (trying out a variety of paper options and two different sizes). Having just returned from another trip I received a coupon for Albelli. They have always semed very expensive to me compared to Blurb, but if I limited the size of my book i thought it was worth giving them a test out. After all this is the company that got best buy in "the Gadget Show" a while back and I wanted to see if the quality was significnatly better than Blurb.

Well my book arrived today and I can categorically state that the print quality is no better than blurb. In fact I would say the quality is somewhat worse. I will need to do a side by side comparison with my blurb books but from first impressions, looking from a distance it looks nice, brig and true in terms of colour reporduction. But looking closer I can make out all the individual dots that make up the image, giving my pictures a less than sharp appearance nd a "pointelistic" look. The price compared to Blurb is staggering.

I ordered a large photo book. looking at the sizes, it it actualy not much bigger than blurb's standard landscape format at 28 x 21 cm vs 25 x 20.

The Albelli one has 70 pages. I chose standard paper, not high gloss, image cover and no lay flat option. The total cost, without applying the coupon would have been £64.79.

In comparison, a standard L blurb book with up to 80 pages, image wrap and lustre paper (which I would say is equivalent to the albelli paper) would have set me back 38.99.

Now I usually end up getting a much thicker book than that and this is where Blurb really delivers as a 200 page book costs only £43.95 plus 4.99 postage.

I have tried Blurb's premium uncoated paper, but found it had too much tooth for my liking. I preferred the lustre finish for photos.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow