Compact cameras with best control over depth of field

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?
Re: Compact cameras with best control over depth of field
In reply to RichardATL, Oct 1, 2012

I second other opinions above, if you really want control over depth of field:

1. Nothing will come close to something like a used Canon 5D and 50/1.4. You can now get both for little over USD 1000 (see, e.g., the listings on keh). If you care about video a new 5DII is now also relatively cheap.

2. A cheap micro 4/3 camera (the best deal now is the Panasonic G3, little over USD 400) plus the Panasonic 20/1.7 and the Olympus 45/1.8 is also a great option (and a lot more compact).

3. If you want to stick with compacts, look at the table that dpreview has been including in its latests reviews (for instance: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-powershot-g15/ ). The only thing that matters for depth of field is the equivalent aperture range column. At portrait ranges (85mm to 100mm equivalent), none of them are going to be great though... (Even the Olympus 45/1.8, at f/3.6 equivalent, is going to be three and half stops better than the RX100.)

RichardATL wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a new compact camera, one that will allow me the most control of depth of field, that will best enable me to blur the background. Sony RX100 seems to fit the bill, but the Olympus XZ1 seems to have as fast a lens with a large sensor at less than half the cost. And somewhere between you have the Fuji X10.

Given all the variables - zoom, lens speed, sensor size - it's really hard to figure out which of the above - (or an altogether camera) will best fit the bill. Any recommendations / advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow