I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,722
Like?
Re: I'd like to have an SLT-mirror that flips up during the shot
In reply to Dirk W, Oct 1, 2012

Dirk W wrote:

After looking at many comparison samples on the internet of NEX5N to A37/57 and NEX7 to A77 it becomes obvious that the translucent mirror adds noise, and I mean not because it "eats" some light, but mainly because it is an optical obstacle in front of the sensor that is not entirely clear like only lenses.

If you compared shots taken at the same ISO then it's very likely that whatever difference you saw can be attributed to the SLT mirror loss of light (to the main sensor). Try comparing shots taken at 1/3 or 2/3 stop lower ISO than the A77.

So why should Sony not take the best out of two worlds, keep the SLT for the great EVF and constant lifeview, but when you press the shutter it would flip up and give way for a free sensor?

Probably because they don't think the tiny improvement in image quality/speed justifies the extra cost.

Personally, I'd be happy to have such an option - for two reasons - (1) the added speed can be a useful in some cases, when the shot is already on the verge of unusable due to noise, (2) it would ensure that no dirt on the mirror can effect the shot.

Since the SLT-mirror is much lighter than a traditional glass mirror, flipping up and down should go even faster with less vibration etc.

The thin mirror may more prone to breakage. Just guessing.

In any case, I don't expect Sony to do it unless they identify that they lose customers over not offering this option (as they did when they reverted from the Minolta-type hotshoe to the ancient ISO type that so many people seem to be attached to, pun not intended).

Prog.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow