ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zigadiboom
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
Canon G1X vs DSLR 18-55m - minimum focus distance & len sharpness
Oct 1, 2012

Hi All,

I am aware that this camera has several shortcomings.. i.e small optical viewfinder, slow autofocus, large size etc. None of these particularly bother me, but what does however bother me is the focusing distance. I know macro is virtually out of the question unless you want to put a filter, 250D etc but I am talking more about photography people close up etc. What I'd like to know is the following:

• Is the focusing distance much worse than the 18-55mm kit lens. For example if I want to take a headshot photo of someone just across the dinner table am I going to have stand up and take a step back? In macro mode which reduces the focusing distance from 40cm to 20cm, does this cause a close up headshot to look unnatural because it is in macro mode?

• Is the G1X lens sharper than the 18-55mm kit lens? If so is it comparable to the 17-55mm f2.8 or are we pushing it here. It says the lens is made to EF standards but that can vary. So just trying to see where in the hierarchy of DSLR lenses it slots.

• I know the autofocus is slow but is it much slower than say the G12? Also despite being slow for me the important thing is whether the autofocus is reliable and readily locks on where for general purpose photography I wont end up with a heap of blurred photos.

• I have the G12 and so do the photos even at low ISO from the G1X exhibit a noticable improvement in photo quality.

Thanks in advance.

Zigadiboom's gear list:Zigadiboom's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V1
Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow