Wise choice?

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Wise choice?
In reply to Benna78, Oct 1, 2012

I just bought a new X-Pro1/35 1.4 kit, and will be adding a least one lens this week. For me a smaller, lighter camera is not essential, but it really makes certain kinds of photography, like travel or street shooting, more enjoyable, and less conspicuous. That said, my XP1 is a second camera to my D800 system. That's not to say that I prefer one over the other, although recently my D800 has definitely taken a back seat to the my new X camera.

For the copy work I do for some local printmakers, the D800 + macro lens are perfect. I also enjoy making video shorts, so replacing my DSLR is not something I'm interested in. If you have any need for an HDSLR video camera, the 5D II is a heck of a camera (I shot with a 5D II for some time before I got my D800). And as a still camera, it will not be obsolete anytime soon.

But the X system is extremely exciting, and Fuji is doing amazing things, making cameras for photographers, not just cameras for profit. As someone mention, such a camera really inspires, and brings joy into photography.

But only you can say you'll miss your DSLR. If you have any really special glass like a 70-200 2.8 L IS or 300 f4 L IS, you might want to hang on to it. My feeling is bodies come and go, but lenses are investments that will last a lifetime. Prices are increasing all the time on pro glass, so if you have any that you got at the lower prices of a few years ago, you might consider keeping them around.

But I have no doubt that the X-Pro1 will help you make superb images, without weighing nearly as many pounds (or kilos) to carry. Good luck.

By the way, there are a ton of great XP1 images online, as well as testimonials and reviews from pros, wedding shooters, portraitists, etc. Dig in and see if there is anything that you like.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow