Wise choice?

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
Re: only obsolescence that matters is the software
In reply to lnbolch, Oct 1, 2012

As usual, Larry is right on.
One thing that hasn't gotten a bunch of mention in this thread is fun.

I too have a Canon DSLR kit and appreciate the power and flexibility of that.

I haven't used the Canon stuff since getting the X-pro1. I take the Fuji with me everywhere just as I used to with my Nikkormat back in the days of film.

For me the X-pro1 has renewed the fun of photography. Technically it is fine.

The lenses are fine, the 35mm is excellent. I find my self making more playful, casual images along with 'serious' stuff with the Fuji.

-Framus

...update, I'm having trouble getting the rats to wear their tutus. They keep looking for rat holes, some bite. One is especially nasty. The Prozac that I'm administering to them may help.I'm sure there will be further developments.

lnbolch wrote:

Benna78 wrote:

Well thanks for your opinions.

I think I'll be 100% ok with the fuji. I already shoot film with a Contax G2 and 645 film with a fuji GA645zi; they are not reflex and I'm perfectly fine with them.

I was about to dump my Leica stuff and go for the G2, when digital came along. I had hoped that Kyocera would quickly produce a digital G2, but they dropped the camera business instead. Fuji clearly based the X-Pro1 on the G2, but brought it up to 2012 standards. You should be in the comfort zone very quickly. Do read the manual however.

When I'd like to take the 5D with me I always hesitate because of weight and size (I mean if I'm not 100% sure I'll need the camera it stays home).

D700 is highly versatile, but big and noisy. Great for travel when working from a vehicle. The XP1 is my urban, walkin'-'round, shootin'-stuff system, and ideal for the purpose. The camera and all three lenses weighs less than the bare body of the D700.

But lenses are a different thing, they can last very long, and with canon or nikon you can be 100% sure you'll be able to use them in the future and lenses are the most expensive things in your setup. But what about fuji x system?

With the GA645zi, you have some concept of Fuji in the industrial marketplace. Other than generic P&S camera, they never really embraced the consumer marketplace until the X-mount cameras. While the S model dSLRs were treasured for their sensors, Nikon got most of the benefit. Now they claim to be seriously in the market.

Turn on your TV or pop a BluRay into your player—there is about a 50% chance you are watching something shot with a Fujinon lens. While consumers may be unfamiliar with Fujinons, medium and large-format photographers and moviemakers know them well. Upon checking the B&H web-site for professional video lenses, I find that 207 Fujinons are listed with the cheapest at $1,999.95 all the way to $160,700.00 for the most expensive. In every way, the X-mount lenses are true Fujinons, producing exceptional quality.

If you are worried about Fujifilm vanishing as a company, realize that they are a highly diversified company, growing ever more prosperous as their long time rivalm Kodak, slides into obscurity. Though Nikon sells more cameras, they are a smaller more specialized company that Fuji. I have no worries buying from either company.

Fujifilm revenue ¥2.182 trillion (FY 2010)
Fujifilm employees 35,274 (as of March 31, 2011)

Nikon revenue ¥887.5 billion (FY2011)
Nikon employees 24,409 (March 31, 2011)

-- hide signature --
 framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow