Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
New XP1 user: lens advice - Buy 18 f2 now or wait for upcoming optics
Sep 30, 2012

Having been an X user for a few days after purchasing an X-Pro1/35 1.4 kit on Thursday. I'm looking to add another lens. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just go ahead and get the 18 f2 as not having any wide angle lens is not all that fun.

(I'm basically a generalist, either shooting nature and landscapes with my tripod, architecture in my travels abroad, and I go into Manhattan fairly often for street shooting, and buildings/sites).

But I could also just grab the wonderful 60 2.4 Macro instead and wait to see how either the 14 2.8 or 18-55 turn out as wide angle options. There are also a few announced Zeiss lenses that have gotten my attention. Any ideas on a course of action? Thoughts about the 18 f2?

I understand that the 18 f2 hasn't gotten the stellar reviews are the other two original lenses (35 and 60), but I've downloaded countless images, and many of them look superb. Center sharpness is high at all apertures. I did notice some softness in the corners and CAs, but I suppose I can live with that. As a former Pentax user (and current D800 owner) I do like Pancake lenses, and the small size of the 18 f2 really seems to fit the small size of the XP1 (I'm not sure the 18-55 does).

Anyway, I'm having a hard time deciding so I thought I'd solicit ideas for all the knowledgable X users here. Thanks in advance.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow