Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
Using NEX As A "Digital Back" for Large Format Cameras
Sep 30, 2012

Ok, those of you complaining about how big A-mount lenses are on a NEX can skip this thread.

Still with me? Want even bigger and less convenient lens arrangements? Here's an Instructable that I just posted describing how to mount a NEX on the back of a large-format camera:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Large-Format-Adapter-For-Your-Mirrorless-Camera/

My NEX-5 looks like this on the back of my B&J 4x5:

Of course, this gives you all sorts of fancy tilt and shift, and a big bellows, but it also gives you access to some great lenses that normally wouldn't mount on a NEX. Yeah, large format lenses can actually resolve well on APS-C. Don't believe me? Here are a couple of large examples.

Here's one using my NEX-5 with a 1948 Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.7 around f/11:

Here's an even more extreme one using my NEX-5 with a 1954 Goerz Apochromat "red dot" Artar 19in f/11 wide open. APS-C is a roughly 30X crop of what this lens can cover, but IQ is very good:

I am cheating a little. Contrast on these large-format lenses is very low, so I did tweak levels. Still, the images take that without any trouble.... I did not do any unsharp masking, etc.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow