Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
My Nex-7 on Kilimanjaro Experience
Sep 30, 2012

In June I carried my Nex-7 with 18-55 kit lens up Kilimanjaro. I bought the camera specifically for this trip since I had been experimenting a a Nex-5 and I wanted something lighter than my Nikon DSLR equipment to carry on the mountain.

The Nex generally performed well and I was glad to have the lightweight camera. I carried it on a Luma Loop and used a carabiner to secure it out of my way during the more technical parts of the climb. The screen makes it easy to hand this camera to someone else to take a picture of you and the viewfinder is not bad, but a bit difficult in bright sun.

I have to say that this system is not as rugged as my Nikon gear, but I knew that. The body held up well, but my kit lens is quite scratched up and is full of dust. I'll need to see if I can get it serviced because there is enough dust in the lens to show up in some photos now. Glad I didn't bring my CZ 24mm on the mountain.

I carried the 16mm with fisheye adapter as well, but only used them in the crater. There are two shots included in this thread. Our climb was 8 days and I went through about 4 batteries out of the 8 I carried. I didn't use the camera much at all on the last two days, since we powered downhill after our summit. We climbed the Western Breach (the most technical route) before camping in the crater, so the camera was in my pack for much of that day too, until I put on the fisheye and made the hike to the ash pit.

No problems for the camera at nearly 20,000' and it worked in zero-degree temps on the summit just fine. The battery did show less charge when cold though. That is to be expected.

Overall, the tradeoff in weight was worth it, but I would love to have some weather-sealed Nex equipment. I'm convinced enough though that I am selling off all my DSLR DX equipment and moving to FX. Nex will be my DX system going forward.

The Nex was also a good candid camera when spending time in African villages. If you shoot with the camera to your eye, people notice and some want payment. Mostly, the kids just want to see the pictures and I did show many children their pictures on the screen. I shot with the camera by my waist and screen flipped up so I could see it by glancing down. That is how I took the photo of the girls above.

If you'd like to see any other photos, they can be found here: http://richcaccavale.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania-21012

I'm still processing safari photos, but most of those are shot with an SLR anyway. I did keep the Nex handy with the kit lens while shooting telephoto on the SLR. It helped when I needed a landscape shot or an animal came in close. Easier than switching lenses.

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +8 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow