Just Bought EOS-M dual lens kit.

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Polyglot92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
How about focus speed?
In reply to Lk400, Sep 30, 2012

How much slower than a similarly priced DSLR?

Lk400 wrote:

I think ill put my new toy to bed for the night. (Very non technical) summary of my first impression:

Pros:

• Great fun camera with near SLR quality images in a tiny package. Both the body and the lenses feel well made and solid, however the camera is very light and portable. The camera looks great, and comes with a mini canon EOS strap (red stripes in Japan model at least).

• The screen is beautiful and large and I had no trouble composing or checking settings in daylight.

• Image quality is very pleasing (i have only shot in JPG so far), however I really want to shoot in good light with a known lens before passing final judgement.

• The 22mm lens is a useful and fun focal length, and at f2, aperture is large enough to isolate (close) subjects.

• The zoom covers the standard 18-55 range, and is very useful for a walk around. Images appear to be sharp (although I did not really use this lens in daylight so I will withhold my judgement for now). The IS is effective. The zoom is quite fast to focus and after reading the reviews, I was surprised with this.

• While of course higher end SLR manual controls are more convenient, for what this camera is designed for, I do not miss the lack of manual controls at all, and find the touch screen interface to be well thought out and intuitive to use.

• I used it in drizzling rain and it still works, so build quality must be quite good!

Cons:

• I have always believed that more than 12 on a APS-C sensor is too many pixels, so I may be more sensitive to aggressive NR or noise than others. With that in mind, I am not at all displeased with the NR or noise, however I do notice a little of both. This is not at all a noisy sensor, but it is noiser than my other APS-C camera, which is a 40D.

• While the 22mm lens is much more fun than the zoom, I find it slower focussing than the zoom.

• I have not spent much time comparing sharpness at a pixel level, however neither lens blows me away with its sharpness.

• Not really a con, but you want to make sure you have a fast SD card for HD video (mine drops out after about 20 seconds).

Thanks for reading my many, many posts!

-- hide signature --

D5000 - Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G - Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR - Canon PowerShot S95 - Canon PowerShot S3

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow