ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
borgein
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
Seeking advice on lens choice
Sep 30, 2012

Hi,

I am new to these forums, and I just acquired a Monochrom after selling all of my other camera gear. I am going back to basics - one camera, one or two lenses, and that's it. So far I love it (been shooting all day).

My plan was to get the Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH together with the camera, but the store had to order it from the distributor so it will take 3-5 days before they get it in black.

A friend of mine, however, has a Summicron-M 50mm f/2 (version 5) and a Summicron-M 35mm f/2 (non-asph - "king of bokeh"). He is selling both of them, and I can basically purchase the Summicron 50mm for less than half of what the Summilux-M would cost me new. I could also purchase the 35mm Summicron "king of bokeh" and pay 2/3 of the cost of a new Summilux-M 50mm for both lenses.

My main concern the following:

1. Get the best out of the MM's sensor (without getting the APO - it's way too expensive). I would assume that the Summilux is better/sharper? However I have read the opposite online. A lot of back and forth on this topic, so I am very confused.

2. Low-light shooting. My main reason to get the MM is because I love to shoot in available light, also during evening/night time. High ISO performance was a must for me because of my shooting style, and was one of the reasons that I never considered the M9. The Summilux-M f/1.4 will give me a whole stop more to play with.

3. Bokeh. I love shooting wide open, and I don't really know how these lenses will look different. Some say that the Summilux lenses has harsher bokeh, while some say the opposite!

4. Ease of focusing. The focus-ring "tab" on the Summilux will probably make it a whole lot easier to pre-focus the lens "on the go" without having to look at the lens itself.

The 35mm will probably be used mostly for street shooting, pre-focused at f/8-f/11, and as I understand it for this type of use there is no advantage in getting the 35mm ASPH or even the 35mm Summilux FLE?

I am very new to Leica lenses so I would appreciate some advice on what to choose, and why.

Thanks,

Borge

borgein's gear list:borgein's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow