Advice on fixed focal length lenses please.

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rodger Richardson
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Advice on fixed focal length lenses please.
Sep 30, 2012

I have a Sony A700 (plus a KM-7D and a Minolta 800si) with a couple of zoom lenses including my most favorite 70-200G lens, 18-200mm, 28-300mm, 11-18mm and an 18-70mm (which I had to buy once when I dropped my 28-300mm on a business trip). Anyhow I am looking to expand my collection with another prime lens and was considering going fixed focal length such as the SAL135F18Z.

As I never used a fixed before, I am looking for some advice from forum members that faced this decision before. I have the finances for purchasing this lens, but I don’t want to invest in this and end up not using it. Does this lens offer anything different than a zoom lens, will I be able to try different a form of photography with a fixed focal.

My photography is general and I play around in many areas including portraiture, wildlife, landscapes and travel (and hundreds of pictures of my dog who always is a willing subject). None of my photography is for commercial use; I just enjoy it very much since my first camera, a Kodak Instamatic many years ago.

I thought of upgrading to the A77, but was put off with the negative comments and decided to wait for the release of the A99 before making a decision for a body upgrade. My A700 still suites me well, so no rush to upgrade yet, but that is a topic for another discussion.

Rodger Richardson's gear list:Rodger Richardson's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +5 more
Pentax K-m (K2000) Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow