Wise choice?

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
nspur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?
Re: Wise choice?
In reply to Benna78, Sep 30, 2012

I bought the Fuji X10 then X100 and then X-Pro1 with 18 and 35 mm lenses. A couple of months after that I sold my Canon 5D2 and all its lenses. In my case, over the last 30 years I had been making money from photography but it never was my prime source of income and I decided that I would limit my semi-pro foreys to my competent micro 4/3 Olympus kit. The Fuji cameras are for enjoyment and challenges. Fuji's vision for the X series entirely matches what I am doing and want to do, so much so that I have just bought an X-S1 to use when I don't know what is going to present itself.

But there's a warning. The ones with the 2/3" sensors are best-in-class but they will never ever challenge a good DSLR. The X100 is a super companion but is never going to replace a system camera. The X-Pro1 despite its simplicity requires work; results can be both banal and sublime; framing with the optical viewfinder isn't perfect but it is great to use and it is liberating; the new firmware is a bonus. I have a collection of legacy lenses, some Leica-fit, some from SLR days and most of these have to be used with the EVF that is fine for me but not the best on the market. I think I would say that the X-Pro1 is the camera to use when you know exactly what you are going to use it for and have precisely the right lens to do it with. That of course could equally be said about the Canon 5D2!
--
Nick Spurrier

nspur's gear list:nspur's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow