ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Help! The Sigma 70-200 2.8 Ruined Me
Sep 30, 2012

Hello,

Yesterday a friend of mine and I was taking a street photography trip. I have my D7000 and 85mm 1.8D. My friend has a Pentax K5 (which I sold to him) and he recently bought a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO HSM whatever. We exchanged gears for some time. I was amazed at how you can comfortably shoot portraits on the street with the lens, with all that isolation power. I loved the zooming, since, unlike a fixed FL, you can bring closer interesting moments that are farther away. You simply can capture more.

I've been shooting prime lenses, like since I started using a DSLR and I never thought a zoom lens might be so enjoyable to use.

Then we came across some gentlemen taking long-exposure shots, and friended them. They were so nice, they let us try on their gear. They were also nikonians, and of them had.. wait for it... a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM OS2 whatever too! He gave it to me and I mounted in on my D7000. Stunning. Instant upgrade on the K5+70-200 combo in AF speed. Albeit zooming ring in the wrong place and a little stiff. Whatever, I enjoyed the lens even more on my D7000. So fast in acquiring focus, outstanding IQ even in f/4. The only minuses were size and weight. The lens really tires your arm while shooting.

Here's a shot I took with it on my D7000. AF-C, 130mm, f/4; while the lady was walking towards me;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/senerhayat/8038504719/

-- hide signature --

So here's my ruining; I loved the lens. But not the price The owner said he paid 1900 TL (Equals to ~$1000) for the lens. I am simply not willing to pay that much for a lens. So what I've come to ask for is; is there any way I can get the same pleasure in street, but cheaper?

Sener's gear list:Sener's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow