Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193
Like?
5 Years Before Our Cameras Are Obsolete
Sep 30, 2012

I don't see too many posts from owners of Flagship cameras previous to the D3 series.

The D2Xs came out just 6 years ago. Pretty ugly thing too:

It was $4700. For that you got a DX format with a little over 12MP, 11pt AF, ISO to 800.

I remember how the professional photographers and gearheads who owned the D2 series cameras felt so proud. Today, all of Nikon's 2012 cameras perform far beyond the D2Xs.

Now just think about how your shiny new D4, D800, D600 camera is going to feel in 2017 when Nikon puts out the replacement of the replacement to those cameras. It will be 2 generations old.

I can only guess at the features but my guess is that AF points won't even be calculated because it will be in the thousands and have a different name like Autofocus Array Table. I would also assume that cameras would inherit the smartphone touchscreen for controls and viewing. The entire back of the camera could be screen real estate, and another entire screen could be behind that screen via articulating LCD so that you can flip the screen over for a camera bag or open it up to reveal the two 5" screens. There will be no need for onboard flash because of ISO in the low millions and the camera could be EVF, so it would again look very different from today's cameras.

My guess is that Nikon will start a new letter and retire D cameras, and add in a new line of lenses to be able to handle the larger resolutions. There's plenty of room for D5 etc, but not so much for D999. Besides the new lens line would make a clean break from the previous generation, especially if they change the mount.

But whatever my guesses are, the truth is likely to be far more surprising.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Nikon D2Xs Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow