Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
Tell Me How the Canon Forum Convinced Me To Buy FZ200
Sep 30, 2012

but the Panasonic forum (in 30 mins) convinced me NOT to buy it!

What a struggle it's been to decide what to replace my still perfectly good Canon S3 with. It's only 6MP and I need to be able to print larger formatted photos. G1 X? No. The big sensor I've been waiting on but no EVF and only a 5X zoom. G15? No. Fast lens I've been waiting on but fixed LCD and no EVF. SX50? No...sloooow (and a couple other reasons I've forgotten). FZ200 seems like like it has it all. Bright, fast, excellent EVF, plenty zoom, awesome video, good in low light...heck, good in any light and setting.

So I stroll over to the Panasonic forum and it's complaint after complaint. High amt of noise at all ISO speeds unless shooting in RAW (I had already read about that, but hoping the reports were exaggerated). Not familiar with RAW but it sounds like even more time spent post processing. Confusing and numerous menus with complicated settings that might be too much for this 53 year old brain! Indoor IQ not as good as FZ150. Indoor shots are major priority of mine. Build quality is questionable. My S3, bless it's heart, has plummeted to the ground (concrete, tile) at least a dozen times in 6 years. Each time I'm SURE it's toast. It's got battle scars and missing the rubber part around the viewfinder but everything still works as good as the day I bought it.

I don't photograph wildlife a football field away. I don't visit exotic locales (anymore). Not into extreme sports. I photograph grandchildren and family events, school events (stage and soon some sporting events). Kids are 4 and 6. I take pictures of life around me and of things I like/love.

IQ is naturally the bottom line but how I get there is also very important, otherwise I'd go with the Canon G1 X. I'm hesitant to say this because the person behind the camera is as big a contributor to IQ as the camera it's self, but I think I'm seeing better quality pictures from the SX50 than the FZ200 :o but, on paper, the FZ200 seems like the camera for me, short of a dSLR that I'm not willing to lug around and change out lenses. I'm officially at a standstill. I think part of my fear is a completely different user interface. I'm comfortable with Canon's menu and features. Frankly the FZ200 scares me with all the various settings. Does it really take 45 steps to format the SD card???

Monica

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow