Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drwho9437
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976
Like?
Ultra wide FF System choice ramifications
Sep 30, 2012

I currently own a Canon (5D) and m4/3 systems.

My ultra wide (the most important lens for me) is the 17-40 mm which is pretty light and an excellently useful zoom range. 40 being close enough to normal to be useful.

I would consider switching to Nikon but the only real choice it would look like would be 17-35 VR right?

I care the most about DR for sure and the D600 and D800 are certainly among the best we have seen. Although I could perhaps live without 5 mm on the long end it is notable that the 17-35 VR is heavier as are the bodies. For hiking based photography those are downsides (though VR is a plus for water shots in particular).

Perhaps the 6D will change Canon sensor amplifier philosophy to be in line with Sony's but I doubt it. I expect limited dynamic range again. I may well do nothing on this issue for some time as I only recently made the move to a 5D at all from crop before that.

Lens thoughts in the ultra-wide arena are welcome.

(For the record I basically use 17-40; 50; 100 short tele/macro as my setup; though I own a 35 also for Canon FF).
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbryce/

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow