Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greg Lovern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,563
Like?
Strip Film Slide Copier and Huge 4-Inch 35mm Microfilm Rolls
Sep 30, 2012

Slide copiers compatible with strips of 35mm film (instead of just mounted slides) are not hard to find, but I haven't seen one made to handle 4-inch diameter, very long rolls of 35mm microfilm. Is there such a thing?

I've been using a microfilm scanner at the library to make copies of certain illustrations in century-old newspapers. Unfortunately that scanner can't capture all the detail I see on the microfilm reader monitor. The newspaper microfilm rolls are always 4-inch diameter rolls of 35mm film.

So I'm thinking of using a slide copier compatible with strip film, with my high-resolution DSLR and macro lens, to capture the images in more detail. My DSLR manufacturer made a high-quality slide copier compatible with strip film, along with a bellows to use with it.

But the "strips" in this case would be 4-inch diameter rolls of 35mm newspaper microfilm. That's an extremely long "strip" compared to what that slide copier was really meant for. If I just let each end dangle to table or floor, there would be the danger of damaging the film, and anyway I doubt the library would allow it. The microfilm can only be used in the library (the rolls are lent to my library from other libraries on my behalf, often from the Library of Congress, on the condition that the rolls do not leave my library), and to get permission from the librarians to use my equipment to read it instead of the library's equipment I would need to be able to show them that the microfilm would be handled with care.

Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

Brand loyalty is a character flaw.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow