Good Canon lens for kids sports photography

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shamus1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Canon lens for kids sports photography
In reply to gdanmitchell, Sep 30, 2012

First, the OP has a good quality lens in the 24-70L. I shoot pro dance and have the 70-200 f2.8L I & II, the 70-300 L, the 70-200 f4 non-IS, and on a whim, for non-business use, a refurb EF-S 55-250 at a really good price from B&H, if i really want a small lens, and its not for commercial use, so I am fairly familiar with them.

The OP already stated the 70-200 f2.8 was a bit heavy. I've shot an event with a 1DMkIV and that lens for four hours without a tripod, so it can be :). Why get a lens, if an aspect may discourage you from using it?

The 70-200 f4's are much lighter and still provide good image quality and are EF, so they can be used on any body. The only question would be price. I picked mine up when I first started and price was an issue, so non-IS. Obviously, I was able to pick up the 'big brothers' as time went on, but the IQ of the f4 was so good, I kept it. The one stop advantage of the larger lens, can be offset with a body the will handle a slightly higher iso better and during the day not an issue, and should be fine with most stadium lightening at night. Indoors could be a little different.

The EF-S 55-250 is an ok consumer lens, but won't match what she's getting now in IQ IMHO, and it's EF-S, so if she later upgrades to a non crop body (like the new 6D or an older 5D series), wouldn't work.

The 70-300L will give extra reach, and is a very nice lens, but on extension, not quite as fast.

My suggestion would be rent & look at the Canon 70-200 f4, deciding on the IS or not based on yor budget (better with IS, but obviously more money). I think you would be pleased with the weight and IQ, plus it will last. You can take wonderful images with a Rebel (used to have one) but good glass makes a difference.

Shamus1's gear list:Shamus1's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow