Went to the Sony store today to try out an A99...

Started Sep 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,935
Like?
Went to the Sony store today to try out an A99...
Sep 30, 2012

Unfortunately they didn't have one on display

I did however, get a chance to try out an A77 which I'm told sports the same EVF which I've been eager to see. And I must say that though I found the technology impressive to say the least, that, at the same time, I definitely knew I wasn't looking through an optical viewfinder. Which isn't necessarily bad per say, though I honestly think, it was my old school mentality that did me in.

That being said, what was most interesting in all of this, was that the Sony store employee's were quite clueless on how the equipment worked and/or how to sell it. Which was a bit of a bummer for me, as it did took the edge off most of the experience(couldn't display or answer questions). However... I was fortunate enough to stop by my local Henry's camera store to have a chat with the manager just prior to closing, who ended up being a HUGE fan of the Alpha line camera's. Which is ironic because, the Sony store pretty much talked me out of investing in this line, whereas the Henry's store talked me right back into it. - kinda funny how that worked.

At any rate, long story short, there are no A99's to be had in our province atm. However... arrangements were made to spend time with a unit in a studio when stock arrives in mid Oct. and so there was that.

I'd also point-out that the biggest challenge for those of us coming from traditional viewfinders with the EVF, is likely in understanding the concept and benefits that comes with the system.(true sensor output representation ). Which is quite odd, when you think about it, as the optical viewfinder has never been truly accurate in that regard. But once someone gets a taste of the real time; WB, bokeh and OOF display, it doesn't take long before the limitations of the old school viewfinder begin to sink-in.

Looking forward to some hands-on time with the A99 soon.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow