How little camera sensors have changed in 5 years

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,808Gear list
Like?
Couple problems with your comparison
In reply to Tommot1965, Sep 30, 2012

Your example images are taken in good light and are not really large enough to show much of a difference.

Take a more light-challenged shot, then downsample the D800 to 12MP, take an equal-area crop of both the downsampled D800 and native-size D700 shots, and compare those crops. You should see more detail and finer noise-grain in the D800 shot.

This translates directly to a more 'real', pleasing print at the same sizes.

The D800's finer noise tends to clean up better without destroyng detail when you apply NR as well. (The bike fork crops in this thread are pretty good examples, and show what I see when shooting my D700 & D800 side-by-side.)

That said, the D700 didn't all of a sudden become a crappy camera because the D600/800 appeared It's still a fantastic low-light performer with magical AF and sweet pro features and build. And it's a lot easier on the workflow and storage.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AndNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow