assistance with comparison of Nikon d5100 and Sony a65

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
fare
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
ok guys, I started this thread, so thought I should .....
In reply to neil bryant, Sep 30, 2012

I made a decision, but a couple of comments. I found a lot of help in this forum thread. All of the advice was helpful from every single contributor. The ones offering lots of detail and tech and the ones that argue "just get one and shoot."
All of it is true. So, thanks.

There is one funny point that happens as a thread continues. Many don't read the beginning story or forget.

First, (specially for toomanycanons), I did buy BOTH cameras. So, actually, for almost a month I shot pics and played around with both cameras. And, of course, there were things that I liked about both. (BTW, I had an agreement with my buddies at the store. They knew I was going to return one. Its not exactly like buying a cone of ice cream where you say I think I'll try that.)

Finally, I returned the Sony and kept the Nikon 5100 about 2 or 3 weeks ago. And, I have been having a blast shooitng the Nikon 5100.

I have both the kit lenses. 18-55 and 55-300 vr dx. I have the kenko extension set. The polorizer filters. And, I am about to order a flash so I can start experimenting. (That discussion is for another forum, but........I have been looking at the altermative brands: MEtz 58, Nissin622, and Yongnuo565. I had a professional tell me yesterday that he uses his Yongnou all the time.)

So, I bought the PSE10 and, of course, that has set me on another steep learning curve.. There I joined Elements Village and ordered the mag. Great help and videos on the subscription side of that site.

In the end, I did what I had said I was going to do before an aggressive in store salesman (scuse me, it was a guy, but I meanst "person".) placed a sony slt in my hand and said it was the way to go.

I am going to shoot and learn with this 5100 for 24 months; then buy the newest prosumer model from Nikon at that time. Maybe it will be the 7100 or 7200. It will be interesting to see what new features will be showcased in 24 months.

In the final analysis, what made up my mind. It was the oft repeated comment that you are not simply buying a camera, but a family. It is a commitment to a direction. So, I chose the Nikon.

Again, thanks to every single comment. Now I got to find out what the rules are for gallery submissions so I can get busy uploading some stuff

fare's gear list:fare's gear list
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow