plastic-coated foam board

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marc Leibowitz
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: plastic-coated foam board
In reply to John Little, Sep 30, 2012

John

There are a bunch different kinds of foam boards available. Different manufactures all try to "improve" on the original Foamcore. Gaterboard is an alternative material that uses a more dense foam. It is much sturdier and less prone to warping and harder to break or cut. It is also a bit heavier and a good deal more expensive than Foamcore.

The different manufacturers add to the fun by supplying different surface coatings. I've seen both gaterboard and foamcore type products with a more plastic outer surface. Gaterboard is generally available in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" thickness. Foamcore is usually 3/16" or 1/4".

The best thing to do is check with the shop that sold you the board and ask them what brand(s) they sell. They will probably be able to identify it for you. You might need to show them a cut off if they carry more than one brand.

Once you know the manufacturer, you can get information such as acid content etc from them.

I believe that none of these foam products are museum grade archival products because the foam is acidic and tends to out-gasses. I'm not certain of that so don't take my word.

Good luck
Marc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow