Which is better?

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?
Re: Which is better?
In reply to PK24X36NOW, Sep 29, 2012

For Col K10d - I hadn't even thought of a portrait orientation. Works very well for this shot...draws the eyes in even better, I think. Thanks for the alternate perspective! My only disappointment is losing the merging of the rows near the right third point of the original. But moving a portrait crop to the right brings in the buildings and that green patch in the field which I think are distracting. So, I think you found the optimum for the portrait orientation.

For PK24X36NOW - I've cut & pasted the comments that were provided on Photosig ( http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=2537826 ) below:

• Daryl, I think the patterns in these crop rows are very effective. There are great patterns and colour changes going on, particularly since the rows travel over uneven land. Does what is beyond these fields in the distance add anything to the overall image? I am not sure it does. Your eye certainly does get drawn along the rows to the horizon, but there is not really anything of significance there that grabs your attention. Maybe a closer crop, concentrating on a particular pattern in the fields might work better. Otherwise, a good image. Thanks for posting. (The DA* 50-135: I'd love to have that lens!)

• Hello Daryl. Those lines are very interesting. In my opinion you should give more emphasis to them. I Think you should crop out part the bottom of the picture, to the start of the lines. The background is distracting, so i think it should be cropped out. Thank You

• the geometric effect of this photo is good. I think that someting is missig like a peasant or a tractor in the field to give some life to this landscape

Of these reviews, I agree most with the third one. A combine/harvester or tractor or something in the midst of the scene would have been a nice bonus.

For tigrebleu and Peteo - Thanks for throwing your comments/thoughts into the mix.

I'm getting much better feedback on this forum than from Photosig IMHO.

Thanks again everybody,
Daryl
--

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )

My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com/

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow