Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Say Cheese
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
Cleaning up my hard drive...
Sep 29, 2012

I have an iMac with a 650GB hard drive, and only 79GB is unused. A little research reveals that I have 312 GB in my Pictures folder, and the vast majority of those are unprocessed, and mostly likely never-to-be-used images.

I have them organized in files by year beginning with 2006, for the most part, with a few misc. files that aren't put into a particular year. I have learned that I have 1.4 GB in 2006, I have no 2007 file, I have 30 GB in 2008, 70 GB in 2009, 51 GB in 2010, 45 GB in 2011, and so far, 7.8 GB in 2012.

I used to use iPhoto but haven't for years. I now process my photos in Bridge 3.0.

My question is: what's the easiest, quickest way to delete unwanted photo files? I'm hoping to avoid having to look at each picture (because there are thousands), but I suppose I could do that. Within each year I have subfolders by subject matter or shooting location, and in each of those I have the processed photos which were renamed something like Bird Feeder Closeup or Birthday Party or whatever. The rest are the raw files from the camera with names like IMG_6070_5712.CR2 and IMG_6070_5712.xmp. (Not sure the difference...)

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for suggestions for a good workflow to delete the unwanted files as quickly and effortlessly as possible, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear that there's no easy way and that I should have developed the habit of deleting them at the time they were taken.

But if there IS a suggestion - can I have it please?

-- hide signature --
 Say Cheese's gear list:Say Cheese's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow