Still no DX wide angle prime from Nikon... this is just getting silly

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,264Gear list
Like?
don't you think it's due to lack of interest by the customers?
In reply to Retzius, Sep 29, 2012

Retzius wrote:

With another Photokina I am truely speechless that Nikon has still failed to release a simple DX wide angle prime.

You know, 16mm is really wide, even on DX and really wide lenses bring problems with distortion, etc. With all of the 18-something and the 10 or 12-something DX zooms, is it really likely that there is a large customer base just salivating for a 16mm f/2.8 DX lens?

I'd guess not. I could be wrong, but mass appeal would not seem likely for that lens. Don't get me wrong. I'm not another typical fanboy or Nikon apologist. I just happen to think that this is not an egregious example of Nikon's foolishness.

OTOH, they do make a 16mm f/2.8 fisheye, which they sell for $1k US. Sigma also makes a 15mm f/2.8 fish, which has been highly regarded for years. Neither of those would work for you?

This has been one of the most requested lenses for YEARS. Additionally, from a design point of view, this is NOT that difficult to design with the current CAD systems. A 16mm f2.8 DX would not be difficult design or manufacture.

Well, there are a lot of lenses that Nikon should be producing today, that they are not. I'd be willing to wager that updated 80-400, 300 f/4 would be much better selling lenses than a 16 f/2.8. Then, some new lenses would be welcome, DX or not, like a 100-300 f/4 VR, a 70-200 f/4 VR, 24-70 f/4 VR, which also would likely be high selling items, assuming that they were priced appropriately.

It must be either lack of desire or lack of enthusiasm on Nikons part for DX. I look at how companies like Olympus and Panasonic are able to pump out VERY nice lenses at a steady rate to fill out a complete system and it makes Nikon look silly.

Nikon hasn't been giving any love to DX users for the last couple of years. I don't understand why, but that's the way it is. They're apparently enamored with FX and video. DX users need not apply. Where are the updates to the d7000 and d300? I'd love to have that d5100 sensor in my d300, but obviously, Nikon doesn't GAS about what I and other DX users want, whether it be high performance cameras or long awaited lenses.

I'm not at all sure that Oly and Panny are good comparisons for lenses. I'm pretty sure that Nikon has always had many more lenses and high end bodies than either of them offer. In that sense, Nikon's apparent poor attitude toward DX users still isn't all that bad. I don't think that Nikon has any real competition, that they don't have covered. It's a shame, but even Canon hasn't been giving their APS-C users much love either. If you want a current, "modern" high performance body, the d4 is the only one available. Same thing with Canon, where they have a 7d that is overdue an update.

I surely don't understand why they treat DX users that way. The DX crowd pays the bills while giving them profits and always has. So, why don't they treat DX users, if not with respect, at least with something less than contempt? If you can figure that one out, I'd be happy to see the answer.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow