Nikon will loose dx buyers to micro fourthirds in a big way!

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
thethirdcoast
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
Re: Strange, I just ordered a D5100
In reply to BackInTheGame, Sep 29, 2012

BackInTheGame wrote:

They didn't lose me, and I have tried several m4/3 cameras recently. It comes back to the sensor. m4/3 really does play second fiddle.

The 16 MP in the D5100 and D7000 is truly glorious, isn't it? I only wish my D5100 had a larger VF and a few more direct external controls.

Get your 35mm 1.8, your kit lens, a D5100, and go take some photos. That's my plan. And have you forgotten the 50mm f1.4 AF-S? Not all lenses that are perfect for DX are necessarily DX. You have any number of lenses. And then there are third party makers with some excellent offers.

The 35mm f1.8 DX is a fantastic modern prime. If you're a DX-shooter this is a must own piece of kit IMO. I've shot this lens on a submarine tour handheld at moderate shutter speeds at ISO 800-3200 in ambient light and the results are amazing.

If you can't find a lens you like for your DX camera, you're not looking.

edit: my other camera is a D800E, and I couldn't take the falloff with m4/3.

I own a GH2, and my own informal testing confirms that the m43 sensor does indeed lag the D5100/D7000 sensor in low-light. I really like the huge EVF, direct controls, and video implementation on the GH2.

I've thought about selling my Nikon kit, but I simply can't get past how good the D5100 sensor is. If Nikon created a DX-body with a large, bright OVF, articulated screen, and built-in GPS it would be the perfect body for me.

thethirdcoast's gear list:thethirdcoast's gear list
Samsung TL500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D5100 Sony SLT-A77 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow